If you read my previous post, you’ll no doubt be aware of the high esteem that I hold Thornbridge beers in. One of my favourites is Kipling. Check out my review (https://yeastismybitch.com/2013/11/11/thornbridge-kipling/) for the full lowdown.
As imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I thought I”d have a scout about and see if I could turn up or design a recipe for Kipling.
Fortunately Jim’s Beer Kit forum had a thread on brewing a Kipling clone (http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38455), with input from a chap going under the handle of tfxm.
Tfxm, or Mr. Tfxm as we’ll call him from now on, had something to do with Thornbridge brewery so was well placed to unearth Kipling’s mysteries.
As I’m still getting to grips with my Braumeister I thought I’d again adopt the “suck it and see” approach, as I still haven’t configured my Beer Engine software properly (http://www.practicalbrewing.co.uk/main/calculators/beerengine/ – Thanks, Graham!)
Mr Tfxm gave the rough ratio of ingredients, so I took those and entered them in Beer Engine and came up with the following:
I used 26L of water and my standard mashing regime of:
Dough-in at 38C
5 minutes protein rest at 53C
70 minutes Maltose rest at 66C
5 minutes Alpha Amylase rest at 73C
5 minutes Mash-out rest at 78C
Then, in a cunning masterstroke, I waited for the cheery peeps that told me that we were all done with mashing, lifted the malt pipe and let it drain while I had supper with my family – while I also put 5L of filtered water in a pan on the stove in the kitchen.
Whilst my family finished their supper, argued about whether they were having baths, etc. I sparged the grains with that 5L of water (now at 79C) and left it to drain. Then I bathed the kids, read stories and all that other good stuff.
By the time everyone was merrily tucked up and mostly asleep, I came back downstairs and set the Braumeister to boil.
The boil was on and rolling by 8.30pm so in went the first hop charge whilst I sanitised the fermenter, cleaned the malt pipe and opened up a bottle of real Kipling.
I can’t tell you how easy brewing is with the Braumeister, and made even easier when you use pellet hops. Clean-up was a breeze – in fact after the whirlpool and cool, clean-up, racking to fermenter and pitching of the US-05 yeast I was finished by 10:30pm and sat down with another beer.
By more luck than judgement I hit a volume of around 21.5L at 1050, which should see me with a finished ABV of about 5.2%. Which is only a little over how Beer Engine predicted it would be.
As I type my Kipling clone is still merrily bubbling through the airlock. It’s smelling good, really good. I’m sorely tempted to pick up some leaf Nelson Sauvin so I can keg hop and completely blow my mind.
Keg/Dry-Hopping is not in the recipe, but I do love hops, oh yes I do.
Keep an eye out for the tasting notes…
UPDATE: Tasting notes here: https://yeastismybitch.com/2014/01/08/homebrewed-thornbridge-kipling-clone-braumeister-version-tasting/