In a break with tradition I won’t be putting up a Brew Engine produced recipe but rather a set of guidelines, guidelines that I’ve painstakingly trawled for and researched. I must confess that I’ve never seen so much controversy caused by a simple beer type – there must be hundreds of recipes and hundreds of bits and pieces of advice…
So here’s my interpretation that I brewed. Advice will follow later:
That all looks quite simple doesn’t it? Well it was, sort of…until about two minutes into the mashing I heard the sounds of trickling water from inside the BM. Lifting the lid revealed wort fountains and serious channeling through the mash!
Cue Handel’s Water Music
In a panic I phoned Greg at BrewUK for advice, he said that It’s due to the wheat malt being huskless and the pils malt – being crushed quite a bit finer than Maris Otter or Belgian pale – means that the pressure builds up and eventually forces it’s way through the mash into these oh-so beautiful little fountains.
Greg asked if I had any rice hulls to hand to loosen up the mash a bit – which of course I hadn’t. I said that I figured that the awesome power of the BM would negate the need for mash fillers…apparently not.
To his eternal credit, Greg offered to replace my ingredients should I have to dump everything, but I decided to go for a serious bit of stirring and mash agitation every 10 or so minutes – 30 minutes later and this seemed to have done the trick.
The rest of the mash went off fairly uneventfully apart from a little fountain during the last ten minutes in the mash-out schedule.
After a 4 litre sparge and a little over a 60 minute boil I ended up with 22 litres in the carboy at 1051 – which was pretty much where I wanted to be and not bad considering it’s my first outing with wheat.
UPDATE: Pitched WLP300 at 10.30pm last night and just got called at 10am by Eve claiming “That beer is now stinking the house out“. At least it’s working!
UPDATE No.1: Eve called at 4pm to say that the beer was now foaming out of the airlock and pouring down the side of the carboy (fortunately I sat it in a big bucket, beforehand)
UPDATE No. 2: Got home at 6pm to find about half a litre of beer and foam in the bucket that the carboy is sat in and a very strong bready/malty aroma pervading the house. Airlock still foaming like mad.
UPDATE No. 3: It’s 10pm and things starting to settle a bit. Cleaned out the bucket and washed down the outside of the carboy. Airlock still going every two seconds but no more foam. Will replace airlock, etc. tonight. This yeast is crazy! Ambient air temperature still holding steady at 19c/20c
For all your homebrew needs (including advice in a panic!) http://www.brewuk.co.uk